Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Films on Demand
Films on Demand contains videos across a variety of disciplines. Titles can be found by
Within a video landing page, you can:
- View a description of the video
- Find out how to cite the video
- Share the video via email
- Get a code to embed or link the video
- View a transcript
- View and choose segments of the video
By creating a personal account, you can also do the following:
- Create a segment or a clip from the video
- Add the video to a playlist
Creating an Account
Create a personal account by:
- Going to Films on Demand
- Choosing Your Profile
- Selecting Sign Up under the Login button.
Films on Demand content can be discovered by:
- Searching SOUTHcat
- Browsing content at Films on Demand
- Searching Films on Demand using either the basic or advanced searching options.
Search by keywords and titles.
Clicking on the three lines next to the Films on Demand logo, allows you to browse subjects, categories, and producers. It also allows you to choose the Advanced Search option.
Using the Advanced Search allows you to focus your search in a variety of ways. You can filter searches by:
- Asset type (animation, documentary, feature film,etc.)
- Date range
You can also select advanced filters that allow you to choose:
- Closed Captioned programs only
- Only programs that have related resources
- Only programs with interactive transcripts
- Only programs added with the last 30 days
- Only programs in HD
Check out the following video for information on creating a playlist in Films on Demand: Infobase: Creating a Playlist.
To create a playlist, you must be logged into a personal account. These are the steps for creating playlists after you've logged in:
- Login to your account.
- Find a video you want to save to a playlist.
- Click on Add To
- A dialog box will appear and you can choose either Favorites or Playlist -- choose Playlist
- From here, you can choose to Add Full Title, Add All Segments, or choose the individual segments you want to add to your playlist.
- If you have already created playlists, you can choose to add the title to an existing playlist.
- If you haven't created any playlists or you want to add the selected video to a new playlist, choose New Playlist and title it.
- When the title is successfully added to your playllist, you'll see a message: "Item(s) added. Go to My Content."
- To view your content, click on the Hi,Your Name area and a drop down menu with My Content will appear.
Infobase refers to creating clips from their videos as creating custom segments. Their tutorial on this topic is Infobase: Custom Segments.
To create a custom segment:
- Login to your personal account.
- Find a video you are interested in and go that video's landing page. (While items can be added to playlists from the search results screen, segments can only be created from an individual video's landing page.)
- From the options below the video, choose Segment
- From here, you will need to choose a start time and an end time which can be done by scrolling to where you want to start and clicking on Set Start Time, then, to end the clip, scroll where you want the clip to end and choose Set End Time. (For videos with interactive transcripts, you'll see a Use Transcript button at the bottom of the dialog box; this allows you to highlight the transcript, and that sets your start and end times.)
- You can also set a thumbnail to display with your clip; choose Set Thumbnail, choose a section of the video, and click on Preview Thumbnail.
- Add a title (the only required field).
- Click on Create Segment.
- To view your created segment, go to My Content under your profile.