Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Author metrics are numbers that provide information on a scholar's publication output, reach, and impact. These metrics include:
- the author's h-index
- the author's h-graph
- Citations counts to articles by the author or citation analysis
The h-graph is simply a graphical representation of the h-index and can be found next to the h-index in Scopus. Just click on View h-graph.
The h-index in Scopus
To find the h-index in Scopus:
- Go to Scopus
- The default search is Documents; click on Authors, which is next to Documents
- If you have an ORCID ID, the process is simple, enter it and click on Search. If not:
- Enter your name. For a more specific search, enter your first name. You can include institutional affiliation as well.
- When the results list appears, check the authors that could be you, then
- Click on View citation overview above the list of names.
- The author h-index is near the top, in the gray area. to the right. You can also view an h-graph
Citation analysis, at its most basic, is simply counting the number of times an article has been cited in other publications. The USA Libraries have a number of resources that can help you do this, and there several that are publicly available as well.
Citation counts for authors listed in Scopus go back several years. To find them:
- Choose Authors
- If you have an ORCID ID, use the ORCID ID search; this will give you only the author you are looking for.
- If you do not have an ORCID ID, enter the author's last name and first initial, if you have it. Some names are really common, so if you have an institutional affiliation, enter it, and click on Search.
- Click on the name of the author you are interested in.
- This displays an author profile which includes the author h-index, number of documents by that author, and total citations to that author's works..
- TIP: The graph you see does not, for some authors, cover all years of their publications; instead, to see citation counts broken out by year, choose View citation overview from the right next to Total Citations.