5. We have more than 3 million photos. From the 1890s through today, we have images covering Mobile, the region, and the university.
4. We have primary sources on lots of topics. Writing about history in the region? We have you covered. Literature? Check. Politics or race relations? Yep. Interested in architecture, social clubs, Mardi Gras, the environment, labor, women, native populations, businesses? We have the raw materials of history and you can use it.
3. You must come at the right time. The McCall Library is open Monday through Friday 8am to 12 and 1pm to 5. Lunch happens.
2. There are rules. Archives are special places with special rules. No food or drinks, backpacks stay in lockers. NO PENS – we mean it! The staff are very nice and will tell you what you need to know.
1. We keep this stuff so you can use it. Archival collections are a window into the past, and the present, and everything in between. They tell us what people did, what they cared about, what they saved. It’s here in your library for you to discover.