Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Be sure to check the library hours regularly as they might change throughout the semester!
University of South Alabama Libraries Personnel
University Library Safety Manual
Things you need to know:
- Your USA student ID is your Library card. With it you will be able to check out books, videos, CDs; access your Patron Record online; renew your books online and use the library databases from home or work.
- Undergraduates may borrow 20 books and Graduate students can check out 40 at a time. Books are charged out for 28 days, but can be renewed twice by phone (460-7028) or online via SOUTHcat. Patrons may borrow 5 media items (DVDs, VHS) at a time. Media is charged out for 14 days with no renewals.
- The Library keeps a Reserve collection at the Circulation Desk, but also has many class readings online and accessible from a Course Reserve link on the Library homepage. We don’t have course textbooks unless the instructor puts a copy on Course Reserve.
- Group study rooms are available throughout the building on a first-come, first-served basis. Wireless access is available throughout the Library.
- Overdue fines are 25¢ a day per book, but you have a 3 day grace period after the due date. Reserve materials checked out by the day are 50¢ per day and Reserves checked out by the hour are charged at 5¢ a minute if they are late. Overdue fines for media are 50¢ per day with a one-day grace period.
- There are two outside bookdrops. One is outside the West entrance door and the other is a drive-through drop in the upper parking lot. Please do not place videos, CDs or DVDs in the book drop.
- Copy machines are available on the first and second floors of the library. These machines use TRACcards for copying. Each copy costs 10¢. You can buy a TRACcard at the Circulation Desk.
- The library has many Internet connected computers for use in doing your research on our catalog, in any of our subscribed databases, full-text e-journals, or on the public Internet. You can download to a flash drive, and e-mail or print from the databases or web on these computers. For USA students who show their student ID, computers with Microsoft Office programs as well as Internet access are available in the Academic Resource Center (ARC) lab in Room 128 on the 1st Floor.
- Printing costs 10¢ per page and uses the same TRACcard as the photocopiers.
- The Circulation Desk will take payment by cash, check, money order, Visa, Mastercard or American Express for any charges you incur.