Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
To find books and government documents in USA Libraries' collections, use SOUTHcat: USA Libraries' Catalog.
- Catalog tips and tricks:
- Keyword searches – use quotation marks to hold phrases together ("cross cultural")
- Truncation – use ? after the root of a word to find all its variants (cultur? finds culture and cultural)
- Browse the Subject(s) field in records to find the right words for searches. (Example: Try doing a keyword search for "cross cultural," then look at the subject(s) field in several records. You’ll see that the subject term is "diversity." Click the subject heading to find more records with this subject.)
- Revise and refine your searches.
- Watch for repeating call numbers and browse stacks in that area.
- Pay attention to the Location and Status fields. You will need this information to locate the item in the library.
Suggested Search Terms
Below are some suggested search terms to use when searching the SOUTHcat catalog or library databases. Search techniques may vary with each databases, so look at help screens or ask a librarian for suggestions about using quotation marks and truncation symbols.
Leave out the word "and" when doing a keyword search on SOUTHcat, since this is automatically added if the phrase is not in quotes. Put phrases in quotation marks to search as a phrase. Use ? as a truncation or wildcard symbol in the catalog.
|religion and culture
||international and ceremonies
|marriage customs and rites
||customs and rituals
||countries and cultural
||history and multicultural
||politics and culture
The USA Libraries subscribe to several subscription e-book collections. These collections tend to focus on a specific discipline or field of study in their coverage.
The University Library subscribes to Springer's 2005-2010 English/International ebook collection with access for one year to book series back to 1997. Sort your results by date so that the books we have access to will appear first.
EBSCO Academic Collection
NEW: the University Library has recently subscribed to the EBSCO Academic Collection. This subscription databases provides the Library with access to over 112,000 ebook titles on a variety of topics. Although these books need to be checked out, more than one person at a time can access, view and checkout these titles
EBSCO eBook Collection
(formerly NetLibrary 3) is a collection of about 11,173 electronic books which you (student, faculty or staff) can search, browse, check-out and read on a computer or transfer to your ereader. The University Library has added two Teacher's Resource Collections, a Career Collection and a Test Preparation Collection to our ebook subscription. Do a Title search on the SOUTHcat Catalog: Teacher's resources.
The checkout period for books from EBSCO varies by collection. In order to check out a book, you must create an account with EBSCO. Click on Sign In at the top right on the blue bar, then choose Create a New Account. A maximum of 60 pages may be printed at one time.