Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
To find books and government documents in USA Libraries' collections, use SOUTHcat: USA Libraries' Catalog.
- Catalog tips and tricks:
- Keyword searches – use quotation marks to hold phrases together ("greek mythology")
- Truncation – use ? after the root of a word to find all its variants (god?, finds both gods and goddesses)
- Browse the Subject(s) field in records to find the right words for searches. (Example: Try doing a keyword search for "greek mythology" poems then look at the subject(s) field in several records. You’ll see that the subject term could be Mythology, Greek -- Poetry. Click the subject heading to find more records with this subject.)
- Revise and refine your searches. Combine words or phrases.
- Watch for repeating call numbers and browse stacks in that area.
- Pay attention to the Location and Status fields. You will need this information to locate the item in the library.
The USA Libraries subscribe to several subscription e-book collections. These collections tend to focus on a specific discipline or field of study in their coverage.
EBSCO eBook Collection
Formerly called NeA collection of about 11,173 current electronic books. The checkout period for books from EBSCO is currently 7 days. In order to check out a book, you must create an account with EBSCO. Click on Sign In at the top right on the blue bar, then choose Create a New Account. A maximum of 60 pages may be printed at one time.
The University Library subscribes to Springer's 2005-2011 English/International ebook collection with access for one year to book series back to 1997. Sort your results by date so that the books we have access to will appear first.
ProQuest Ebook Central
A collection of over 70,000 electronic books covering all academic disciplines. Pages from ebrary titles can be printed by using the InfoTools button and choosing Print. You can choose to print the current page, a range of pages (with the maximum number of pages being 60) or an entire chapter.
Suggested Search Terms
Below are some suggested search terms to use when searching the SOUTHcat catalog or library databases. Search techniques may vary with each database, so look at help screens or ask a librarian for suggestions about using quotation marks and truncation symbols.
Leave out the word "and" when doing a keyword search on SOUTHcat, since this is automatically added if the phrase is not in quotes. Put phrases in quotation marks to search as a phrase. Use ? as a truncation or wildcard symbol in the catalog. Use Advanced Boolean Search for combinations of concepts and phrases.
- greek mythology
- roman mythology
- greek literature
- roman literature
Library of Congress Subject Headings:
- Mythology, Greek
- Mythology, Roman
- Gods, Greek
- Goddesses, Greek
- Gods, Roman
- Goddesses, Roman
- Gods, Greek -- Poetry
- Mythology, Greek -- Poetry
- Orestes (Greek mythology)
- Antigone (Greek mythology)
- Rhetoric, Ancient
- Mythology, Greek, in literature
- Mythology, Roman, in literature
- Greek drama (Tragedy)