Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
To find books and government documents in USA Libraries' collections, use SOUTHcat: USA Libraries' Catalog.
- Catalog tips and tricks:
- Keyword searches – use quotation marks to hold phrases together ("middle east")
- Truncation – use ? after the root of a word to find all its variants (feminis? finds feminist, feminism, and feminists)
- Browse the Subject(s) field in records to find the right words for searches. (Example: Try doing a keyword search for islam feminis? , then look at the subject(s) field in several records. You’ll see that the subject term could be "Feminism --Islamic countries." or " Feminism --Religious aspects --Islam." Click the subject heading to find more records with this subject.)
- Revise and refine your searches. Combine words or phrases.
- Watch for repeating call numbers and browse stacks in that area.
- Pay attention to the Location and Status fields. You will need this information to locate the item in the library.
Suggested Search Terms
Below are some suggested search terms to use when searching the SOUTHcat catalog or library databases. Search techniques may vary with each database, so look at help screens or ask a librarian for suggestions about using quotation marks and truncation symbols.
- women islam
- women middle east
- women islam politic?
- women islam veil?
- islam gender
- islam feminis?
- Muslim women.
- Women in Islam.
- Women’s rights --Religious aspects --Islam.
- Women’s rights --Islamic countries.
- Women --Islamic countries --Social conditions.
- Honor --Religious aspects --Islam.
- Violence --Religious aspects --Islam.
- Feminism --Islamic countries.
- Feminism --Religious aspects --Islam.
- Gender identity --Islamic countries.
- Women --Afghanistan --Political activity.
- Muslim women --Iran.