Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Requesting Items Not Owned by the Library
Before you request something through Interlibrary Loan, check SOUTHcat to see if we own the item if it is a book. If you are looking for a particular journal article, check Our Journal List to see if the University Libraries own the the journal title.
You may still find yourself needing to request books or articles that our library does not own. In this case, you need to use Interlibrary Loan. Our Interlibrary Loan uses a system called ILLiad. You create an account for yourself with a username and password. Then you just login to your account and request items not owned by the University Libaries.
First Time User Registration
Login to ILLiad
Remember to allow at least 10 working days for Interlibrary Loan requests to be processed and the items received.
Materials Not Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Books owned by the USA Libraries but charged out. These can be recalled at the Circulation Desk or online (see http://www.southalabama.edu/univlib/scathelp.htm#holds) for instructions.
- Unique copies of theses or dissertations. Most dissertations can be purchased by the patron from University Microfilms.
- Newspapers or manuscripts, unless available in positive microfilm.
- Textbooks currently being used for USA courses.
- Whole volumes or issues of journals.
- Records, tapes, films, software, and other fragile materials.
- Materials for class reserve or group use.
- Archival, genealogical, and local history materials.
- Items of unusual value or rarity.
- Recreational reading titles.