On this page:
- Last Updated Jun 16, 2011
514 views this year
- Last Updated Jan 31, 2013
64 views this year
- Last Updated Jan 31, 2011
A guide to understanding peer-review and how to find peer-reviewed sources at the University Library
140 views this year
- Last Updated Aug 21, 2012
SOUTHcat is the catalog of the libraries at the University of South Alabama. It contains records for the books, electronic books, journals, government documents, CDs, DVDs, and other media items held by the libraries.
92 views this year
Search Google Books
Part of Google's library-scanning project. Only books in the public domain are shown in full text. Others may have just a citation or show selected pages from the book. Remember, you can check SOUTHcat to see if we have a book you find in Google Books if the full text is not available.
To find books and government documents in USA Libraries' collections, use SOUTHcat: USA Libraries' Catalog.
- Catalog tips and tricks:
- Keyword searches – use quotation marks to hold phrases together ("Harry Potter")
- Truncation – use ? after the root of a word to find all its variants (hero? finds hero, heroine, heroism...)
- Browse the Subject(s) field in records to find the right words for searches. (Example: Try doing a keyword search for Buffy, then look at the subject(s) field in several records. You’ll see that the subject term is "Buffy, the vampire slayer (Television program)." Click the subject heading to find more records with this subject.)
- Revise and refine your searches.
- Watch for repeating call numbers and browse stacks in that area.
- Pay attention to the Location and Status fields. You will need this information to locate the item in the library.
Finding Articles - Multidisciplinary Databases
Finding Articles - Business
Finding Articles - Education
Finding Articles - Engineering
Finding Articles - Health Sciences
Finding Articles - Humanities
Finding Articles - Sciences
Finding Articles - Social Sciences
Marx Library 250
Instructional Services Librarian
My favorite books are:
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Emotionally Weird, A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, Franny and Zooey, Imogene's Antlers